Rumsiskes Antanas Baranauskas Gymnasium is located in Kaisiadorys Region, 20 km from Kaunas. From 2009 September our school has a section 7km from it, in Dovainonys. The nearest schools are: Stasys Tijunaitis primary school (6 km away), Antakalnis primary school (10 km.), Kruonis gymnasium (18 km.), Žiežmariai secondary school (20 km.). One can get there preschool, primary, basic and secondary education. The main language is Lithuanian. Also you can study English, German and Russian languages and other traditional subjects such as Biology, Maths, Art, Religion, History, Geography, PE, IT and others. We have 43 teachers with high qualification Now there study 472 scholars and there are 22 classes in Rumsiskes’ gymnasium and 6 in Dovainonys’ section.
Our school’s vision:
A Modern Gymnasium, where pupils and teachers feel safe, work in partnership to reach a common goal, which is qualified education in all educational process.
• Kaisiadorys District Rumšiškės Antanas Baranauskas Gymnasium provides primary, basic and secondary education for pupils, enabling them to grow as mature personalities
• Runs expand the English language training.
• Gives non-formal education : sports, art, singing, playing the guitar, dancing, etc.
• Integrates students with special needs.
• Organizes training courses for amateur drivers.
• School’s values are responsibility, tolerance and cooperation
Rumsiskes’ School History
The history of Rumsiskes school was started in the second half of the 18th century. Elementary school was opened in Rumsiskes in 1777. Two noblemen, 6 citizens and children of peasants were taught in that school. They were taught in Polish.
The Russian language was introduced to Lithuanian schools in 1828. (Lithuania was under tsar Russia after 1975.). The Lithuanian language was taught twice per week. Studies took about 5 months: from December until May( when the pupils didn’t have to pasture the cattle).
53 children studied at Rumsiskes’ first school in 1853 which was in the place where now the Kaunas sea is. There the Russian and Polish languages were taught. Poet and later a bishop , the author of a famous poem ” Anyksciu Silelis ” Antanas Baranauskas studied at that school in 1851-1853 . The school was later called by Antanas Baranauskas name to honour a famous Lithuanian poet and bishop.In the poem “The Nemunas’ flood in Rumsiskes” A. Baranauskas wrote: “Schoolchildren were in the class, wet up to the waist , then they went up the stairs to the attic . They pleased, to be taken to the other bank of the river”. The school wasn’t mentioned in the other poet’s poems.
When A. Baranauskas was eighteen, he started to write his diary. He wrote some rules of behavior which are popular and important nowadays too: Don’t smoke , don’t drink strong drinks , don’t eat too much , don’t say bad words , don’t get the God angry , pray for the God….
When the press was forbidden in the Latin -Lithuanian letters, the Lithuanian schools were closed. The Lithuanian language was not spoken after the riot of 1863. We know that Russian school acted in 1866. “Saules” elementary school for girls was opened in Rumsiskes in the first half of the 20th century in 1908 (press prohibition was annulated in 1904).
In 1946 the six form Rumsiskes school became progymnasium. In 1950 the school had already 7 forms and from 1951 it was called Secondary school of Rumsiskes. In 1954 the first school leavers left the school.In 1959 a new school(where we study now) was built.
Only in 1993 the name of the former school(Bishop’s Antanas Baranauskas)was returned back As to teach Religion and religious titles were forbidden(schools were separated from church) while Lithuania was under the soviet regime of the former USSR. In 1990 Religion as the subject was returned back to schools.
In 2013 the 60-ieth addition of school leavers left Rumsiskes Antanas Baranauskas Gymnasium and successfully entered and will graduate from colleges or universities.
After school activities:
Rumsiskes is a small town in Kaisiadorys district, 20km east of Kaunas and 16km west of Kaisiadorys . It is close to Vilnius -Kaunas highway and the Kaunas Sea.
6163 residents live in Rumsiskes and its environs .The area is 13768, 7ha, forests cover 45.9%, waters, roads and other 7.7% of the surface. Rumsiskes is the center of the municipality. All in all there are 39 villages around Rumsiskes. The bigger of them are: Pravieniskes 2 with 1153, Dovainonys with 512 and Antakalnis with 484 inhabitants. There are 3 post offices , Pravieniskes railway station,2 kindergartens , a primary school,2 main schools , Rumsiskes Antanas Baranauskas Gymnasium ,4 libraries , 2 museums , St. Archangel Michael’s church , 3 halls for sports and entertainment , Health center, drug store, Home for elderly people, Child care centre, a prison, 3 hotels, 15 shops, a pub and 3 bars in Rumsiskes municipality.
The inhabitants are most occupied with agriculture, food processing, woodcrafts, furniture making, gasification and village tourism.
In 1997 the settlement of Rumsiskes was awarded with the second prize in the competition of the most beautiful settlements in Kaunas district.
PlACES to ViSIT In RUMSISKES
The non-governmental organisation ‘’Rumsiskes’ Children Day Centre’’ was established 28th September, 1999. It is a non-profit, non-political, legal institution, abiding democratic principles and working in the field of development of social care. Currently 36 children from socially disadvantaged families attend the day centre. In 2009 with the money and support from EU this centre was rebuilt, equipped anew and improved the quality of services it gives to the children.
The goals of this day centre are:
- To create the best possible conditions for the physical, moral and cultural development of the children;
- To eliminate and neutralise the negative social environment which impacts on the development of the children as personalities;
- To encourage and motivate the children from disadvantaged families to study;
- To develop opportunities for the schoolchildren’s leisure time;
- St. Michael Archangel’s church in Rumšiškės is one of the most traditional and interesting XIX century (built in 1860) Lithuanian folk churches. Old Rumšiškės was flooded by the Kaunas Sea in 1958. The old church, a belfry and St Ann’s chapel were moved to the new settlement that was established upland. The church is wooden, rectangular, with a small tower. There is a valuable organ having beautiful and clean resonance in the church. Near the church there is a three-storeyed wooden belfry.
- The church is located on the Kaunas sea cost and its environment is very tidy and beautiful.
The Country Life Museum
- Rumsiskes is best known for its Open Air ethnographic museum (established in 1966 and opened in 1974), one of the largest in Europe.
- The open-air museum in Rumsiskes displays the heritage of Lithuanian rural life in a vast collection of authentic resurrected buildings where the Lithuanian people lived and worked. The total area of 175 ha (432 acre) contains 140 buildings from the 18th–19th centuries with the restored original interior and surroundings. This museum was established to help to preserve and research the former ways of living.
- The buildings of this museum are exposed as farmsteads and all of them together represent the main ethnographic regions of Lithuania: Aukstaitija, Zemaitija, Dzukija and Suvalkija. The open-air museum stores the most valuable examples of Lithuanian farmsteads.
- The Museum of Rumsiskeslooks like an entire village that has been recreated and reconstructed in a very imaginative and artistic way. The overall length of the excursion covers a trail that is around 6 kilometers long.
- For visitors, there is a tearoom and a separate tavern. Number of folk-based companies also conduct concerts here at the weekends. It is quite an unusual experience to have dinner and enjoy the folk show in surroundings of a few hundred years old village. Thus, the Museum of Rumsiskes is often attended by wedding parties, families, foreign tourists, companies, school groups – that is a really attractive sightseeing place in Lithuania.
Learn more about our town in the students’ presention on youtube web:
Download MS PowerPoint presentation about my country – Lithuania.